Skip Navigation
Texas Counties Deliver
Floodplain Management

Development in the floodplain requires a Base Flood Elevation (“BFE”) certificate in addition to a Development Permit; therefore it is important to know if your property is in the floodplain before building or placing a structure upon it.  The floodplain map (and instructions) below can be used to determine if you are in or near a floodplain; however, the final determination must be made by the Floodplain Administrator for Polk County.   Please call the Permit Office at 936-327-6820.

The U.S. Congress established the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) with the passage of the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968.  The NFIP is a Federal program enabling property owners in participating communities like Polk County to purchase insurance as a protection against flood losses in exchange for State and community floodplain management regulations that reduce future flood damages.  Participation in the NFIP is based on an agreement between communities and the Federal Government.  Polk County adopted and enforces a floodplain management ordinance in order to reduce future flood risk to new construction and substantially improve structures located in floodplains.

The Federal Government makes flood insurance available within our community as a financial protection against flood losses.  Flood insurance is designed to provide an alternative to disaster assistance to reduce the escalating costs of repairing damage to buildings and their contents caused by floods. 


A Base Flood Elevation Certificate (BFE) is required when building in the floodplain.
To determine if your property may be in the 100-year floodplain, click on the attached link. 


Floodplain Map Instructions (PDF) – Please Read


Floodplain Map (PDF)

*Displays Roads and Floodplain Boundaries

(preferred method:  right click on map and select “Save Target As” option.  Save a copy of the map to your computer)

*Open PDF map file with Adobe Reader 9 or later

For a final floodplain determination, you must call the Polk County Permitting Department at 936-327-6820.

Please visit the Office of Emergency Management Permits link for a complete listing of all permitting requirements in Polk County.  
Remember, you must obtain a permit before you can develop your property. 

Click here to view the permits page

Copyright © {{YEAR}} {{COUNTY}} {{STATE}}

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM